It’s week three of our One Room Challenge sunroom turned office/nursery (here’s week one and week two) and things are starting to come along really nicely! Late Monday night, in the midst of scraping paint off of windows with swollen legs and feet I had my reno meltdown. This happens with pretty much every space we tackle. I can recall the day I was done with the library, the dining room, the kitchen that one may have had several of them…
It’s that moment where you break…where you can’t take it anymore. You’ve spent months planning and dreaming, weeks DIYing and living in chaos, you’re tired, frustrated and just over the hard stuff that goes into creating a space you love. For me it’s usually that last hurdle. I know when I’ve reached this point if I just push myself a little further I’ll be over the worst of it and on the downhill. And I’m happy to say we’re getting there! I’m starting to see the light at the end of the dust and destruction. Soon we’ll be able to start moving some furniture in and that feels like a total win.
A LOT has happened in the last week or so, but today I want to mainly talk about the new trim and moulding. This is an area that I’m totally passionate about and a detail I think can really make or break a space. We’ve updated almost all of the trim in the rooms we’ve tackled thus far in this house, and it’s one of the biggest game changers. Sure, you can go into a home with builder grade trim and change up the wall color for a nice, fresh start, but if you really want to elevate the look and feel of your home, trim is the way to do it.
When we first began the design process of the sunroom, I originally thought maybe we’d just replace the base. As I’ve mentioned, it was laid to the subfloor, leaving only about an inch and a half of it showing. Pretty pathetic. I told Micah we could keep it simple and work with the casings and crown. I mean, 10 windows and three doors is not a quick thing to update – especially on our bump-watch timeframe. But the more I got thinking, the more I reminded myself that going halfway usually leaves me regretful when all is said and done. Micah was open to the work, so out it all came!
Let’s talk about how I came to the details. The fireplace mantle was the only woodwork staying, so the plan was to pick pieces that complimented that. I loved working with Metrie on the basement details, and was thrilled to partner with them again on this space. While I’m a big believer in keeping a consistent flow to your trim throughout your home, there are areas where you can veer off a bit. Because this is an addition on the second floor, I didn’t feel as dedicated to keeping it cohesive with the rest of the upper level. As I started looking through inspiration, I was drawn to large pieces that had minimal detail.
My friend Angela’s house is constant inspiration follow her on Instagram too! and then when I realized much of Laura’s historic home had the same casings, I knew it was a tried and true bet. To create the look we took 4″ flastock and added a 1″ backbend on the edges.
Having only 8′ ceilings made me kind of nervous to go big on the base and crown, but I have now come to the conclusion that bigger is ALWAYS better! The more substantial finishes add a grandeur and sophistication that wipe away my previous disappointment in the ceiling height.
My sister is bringing over the new stained glass piece tomorrow, and that will definitely change the view from this perspective. Let’s take a look at the progression thus far…
Subtle, but once the other details come in, these changes will make a world of a difference. And you won’t believe the wallpaper! It’s installed and my oh my, it gives me all the feels. I hate to be a tease, but you’ll have to come back next week to see!
In the meantime, be sure to check out all of the other wonderful featured designers updates this week…